Advice from Imam Ali (a.s) Foundation in London for speakers, clergy, religious scholars, and Imams of mosques and Islamic centers on the occasion of the blessed month of Ramadan 1442 A.H
17 Shabaan 1442
In the Name of Allah the Compassionate the Merciful,
and all peace and blessings be upon the most honourable of all prophets and messengers Muhammad and his purified progeny.
It is clear to all Momineen, preachers, Imams of mosques, scholars and people of knowledge who strive to carry out the responsibility of preaching that the blessed month of Ramadan is an important opportunity to invest in propagating religious knowledge (core beliefs and practical branches) and the duties incumbent upon Momineen wherever they may be. As such, it is appropriate to highlight several points that are essentially linked to the Mimbar and mosque’s mission during the blessed month of Ramadan:
1. The necessity of keeping pace with current means of communication available to Momineen, taking into account the nature of the discourse, especially for the youth, and the necessity of using effective methods to reach the minds of Momineen in general, by focusing on the language to which the audience is attracted, and using examples and ideas acquired from present situations - citing information and verified stories that the public desire listening to, benefiting from and be inspired by.
2. According to some reports, there is no doubt that some people are attracted to spirituality, regardless of the type and nature of religion in different parts of the world. This is because spiritual values and principles care about cleansing the soul from anguish, hatred, mistrust, prejudice, and other moral diseases so that it embraces the loftiest moral and ethical values - such as humbleness and good dealing with others, taking the initiative to give and serve and satisfy the needs of people irrespective of their religion, race and language, which supports humaneness of nations and various societies. Since the month of Ramadan is the season of intense spirituality and the season for preparing the soul for purity and serenity, it is worthy of the school of the Mimbar [pulpit] and the mosque to allocate more attention to the discussion of spiritual issues and the moral implications that affect the treatment of spiritual and moral diseases and training generations of believers to deal in a human spirit with everyone. Thus, following the example of the Chosen Prophet Muhammad (S. A W. W), whom the Holy Qur’an praised by saying: ((It is by Allah’s mercy that you are gentle to them; had you been harsh and hardhearted, they would have surely scattered from around you. (( In another verse, Almighty says: ((and indeed you possess a great character.() In addition to that the examples from the lives of Ahlulbayt (a.s.).
3. It is noticeable among the new generations of our sons and daughters the lack of interest in two basic pillars of religiosity, namely offering prayer and reciting the holy Qur’an, especially with many families preoccupied, fathers and mothers and not educating their children on the importance of adhering to the holy Quran and being interested in the pillar of religion which is prayer as said by Imam al-Sadiq (a.s.): “one who is negligent of prayer will not receive our intercession”. Since the month of Ramadan is the month of the holy Qur’an as Allah states: ((The month of Ramadan is one in which the Quran was sent down as guidance to mankind, with manifest proofs of guidance and the Criterion. (( and the month of prayer as it is reported that the holy Prophet (s.a.w.w.) that when the month of Shaban and the month of Ramadan approached he would enter into a spiritual retreat [I’tikaf] where he would fast during the day and pray during the night. When he (s.a.w.w.) was asked about why he does this when he is the master of creations, to which he replied “Should I not be a thankful servant?” It is very important to take advantage of these blessed days in the great month to spread the spirit of attachment to the Qur’an and to show great interest in the obligatory prayer [salat al-Wajib], through simple discourse that is in harmony with the general mentality of Momineen who are in their adolescence age and who suffer the gap resulting from attachment to material life and the colourful temptations of the youthful ambience in The West, which negatively affects their relationship with prayer and the Holy Qur’an.
4. Taking advantage of the global health pandemic, which is the spread of the Corona virus, which contributed to the spread of anxiety and depression and the loss of confidence in healthcare in terms of prevention and treatment, which helped prepare people to receive the divine concepts that instills in the believing person the importance of attachment to the means of the unseen (ghayb) which are known to have great influence in repelling afflictions and soliciting mercy, such as charity, ties of kinship, kindness to parents, fulfilling people's needs, supplicating, and seeking help from the people of the Ahlul-Bayt (a.s.), and other principles that have a great impact in treating depression and eradicating anxiety and fear, for the remembrance of Almighty Allah is the most effective way of achieving contentment as the Almighty says ((Those who have faith and whose hearts find rest in the remembrance of Allah.’ Behold! The hearts find rest in Allah’s remembrance!)), and ((The faithful are only those whose hearts tremble [with awe] when Allah is mentioned, and when His signs are recited to them, they increase their faith, and who put their trust in their Lord(( and other Qur'anic discourses that guide the importance of trust in Allah, submission and satisfaction with Allah’s judgment and destiny, and that it is the path to spiritual happiness that man lacks in the overwhelming crises of the modern age in terms of health, economics and spirituality ((And whoever puts his trust in Allah, He will suffice him(( and ((and in Allah let all the faithful put their trust)).
5. Over the past years a strange phenomenon has occurred, which is the distancing from the arena of the Awaited Imam (a.t.f.) such an increased number of doubts have been raised about the birth of Imam al-Mahdi (a.t.f.) and his existence and the time of his reappearance, the day when justice and equality will reign by his greatness. Many people neglect his mention and link to him. And since the blessed month of Ramadan is the month of invoking Allah with the most beloved names to Him and most perfect beings, it is clear that the most beloved names to Him is the master of our time [Imam Al-Zaman a.t.f.], the guardian of our grace and leader. Hence, it is appropriate for this glorious environment to mobilize people and provide them with what strengthens and supports the close connection with the Imam Al-Mahdi (a.t.f.) by presenting the evidence of his existence, the necessity for his remaining , the fruits of his occultation and the creation’s need for him at every moment, and broadcasting his teachings and well-known commandments, the most important of which is to be linked to the Marja’iya, his public representative - strengthening the relationship between the followers and their Imam Al-Mahdi (a.t.f.) through charity on his behalf, praying [recommended prayers] on his behalf, performing Tawaf of the Kaaba on his behalf, and praying for him during the obligatory/recommended prayers. As well as seeking help from him and linking generations of different ages and cultures with his leadership and his position that of the Imamate and Allah’s vicegerent on earth and spreading the spirit of following him and his great representatives, the great Maraji’, may Allah prolong their noble life.
We ask Allah to grant us all success to do more for the sake of upholding the banner of religion, spreading knowledge of Ahlulbayt (a.s.) and benefiting from the blessings of the blessed month with more righteous deeds from which we ask the pleasure of Allah Almighty and the satisfaction of our Master our time (a.t.f.).